OUT THERE header image 1




LtMoncla200.jpgAt left is a picture of a pilot who mysteriously disappeared in 1953 after his F89 left Kinross Airforce Base near Sault Ste. Marie Michigan in pursuit of an unknown craft.  His name was Felix Eugene Moncla Jr.  Gene Moncla along with his radar operator Robert Wilson vanished without a trace.  It was reported on radar that the F89  merged with another craft on the radar.  Many explantions were given, none stuck.

The incident would have faded away into history had it not been for a few people, one being Major Keyhoe, a well known ufo investigator in his time.  Below is one account of Keyhoe's investigation:

In 1958 Keyhoe got hold of a leaked Air Force document that made it clear that officialdom considered the Kinross incident a UFO encounter of the strangest kind. The document quoted these words from a radar observer who had been there: "It seems incredible, but the blip apparently just swallowed our F-89." The following year, in conversations with civilian ufologists Tom Comella and Edgar Smith, M. Sgt. O. D. Hill of Project Blue Book confided that such incidents -- he claimed Kinross had not been the only one -- had officials worried. Many, he said, believed UFOs to be of extraterrestrial origin and wanted to prevent an interplanetary Pearl Harbor. Cornelia subsequently confronted Hill's superior, Capt. George T. Gregory, at Blue Book headquarters. Gregory looked shocked, left the room for a short period, and returned to state, "Well, we just cannot talk about those cases."

Imagine how sad it must have been to for the families to never know what became of these two men.


AGordHeathInLa.jpgAt left is a man by the name of Gord Heath.  Gord lives just outside of Vancouver in Brittish Columbia Canada.  Gord has taken quite an interest in the Kinross incident.  He has studied the so called facts, even talked to family members and to the pilot of a Royal Canadian aircraft that was supposed to be what Moncla's jet intercepted on November 23rd 1953.  I always wonder what drives some people to be so involved in events they weren't even alive for.  I also believe that if we dig deep enough we will usually find the truth, and in this case the truth is mind numbing.  This weeks show is just about the disappearance of the F89 and the facts surrounding the case.  Next week's show may blow you away and will have answers as to what may have happened to the F89, Gene Moncla, and Robert Wilson and how Gord Heath is connected to all of this.

Share | Download(Loading)

  • SoMany?s

    I was at the 2003 International MUFON Symposium in Dearborn, Michigan where they discussed the Kinross Incident. All the well known researchers were in town for this event. Although the symposium didn’t stir much local attention it was covered live on Coast To Coast. I remember from the discussion, that the general thrust of it was that still very little was known about the event as the researchers have tried to get information on this incident for many years. There was someone from the audience that spoke out that he actually talked to the person at the radar system that night that saw the jet merge with the UFO and go up in fact they swore to it. I don’t know who this person was in the audience and the impressions I had was that no one knew him. Your show brought back memories of this along with the incident itself which I read about as a kid.

    Dec 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm
  • outthere

    Interesting, it’s little tidbits like your experience that all add up. Thanks for sharing.

    Dec 28, 2010 at 8:30 am
  • Gord

    The key witness to the event is Lt. Douglas Stuart who was the controller at Calumet Radar Station who guided the intercept for the later half of its mission. There were probably six or more stations monitoring the area that night. In addition to the stations Pillow and Naples (Calumet, MI and Sault Ste. Marie, MI) there was Horsefly (near Selfridge AFB in Detroit) which ordered the scramble. There is a witness who was at a radar station at Battle Creek who also states he watched the intercept. There were at least two radar stations in Canada (Pagwa and Armstrong), on the Pine Tree Line which were operational and within range to observe traffic over Lake Superior. I have heard that the intercept was observed from at least one Canadian radar station. These stations were jointly run by RCAF and USAF. I think that Stuart may have left clues that some of his statement and testimony was false. I think he may have provided the real “Pigeons to Home Plate” directions which were given to the pilot - which contradicts other information in his statement. I have also heard that the incident was hushed up at Calumet and people working at the base would only talk about it when off base in town. The key map which plotted the F-89 and bogie flight paths is listed as item J in the Accident Report’s List of Tabular Material but this map is missing from the file.

    Jan 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm